Thursday 10 April 2008

All about me!

Hello my name is Alison, I am 13 years old and I live in the UK (England)
18 months ago I was a very happy child, I had just moved to a new school and had made some awsome friends, but then on the 20th March 2007, my life changed drasticly.
I sprained my ankle falling down some steps at my mums work, my ankle was painful and swollen but I just thought it was a normal ankle sprain, but after 5 days of complete rest the pain and swelling got worse. My mum took me to the hospital where they x-rayed my ankle and told me that it was just a normal ankle sprain and that I had to rest it for 2 days and do gentle excersises. I did what I was told to do for 5 days but the pain still continued to get worse, so my mum took me back to the hospital where I was reffered to a Physical therapist thinking that I just needed some physiotherapy and that I would be running around again.
I had Phsyiotherapy for 3 and a half months and I made little progress, in fact I was getting worse, I now had colour changes and muscle spasms in my toes.
My mum knew that something wasn't right so she took me to another hospital, where the doctors were really nice and understanding. They admitted me into hospital and told me and my mum that they thought I had CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome) but to go a diagnosis I had to go to another hospital that deals with CRPS/RSD.
The next day I was transferred to another hospital where I was diagnosed with CRPS type 1. My Pain Management Doctor did a nerve block the next day but unfortunatley I had a major side effect and lost my balance/co-ordination (when I walk my bad leg shoots out in front of me)
About 2 months later, my PM doctor prescribed me "Amitriptyline" to try and help me sleep, but unfortunatley I suffered from another side effect of blurred vision and knocked my right arm getting out of the bath tub. Immediatley my arm began to swell and I had the same type of pain that I have in my leg. My mum took me straight to the hospital again and I was diagnosed with CRPS yet again - I felt like my life had just ended!!
Thankfully the CRPS/RSD in my arm has been into remission and I now only have little pain in it

I have just recently come out of hospital from having an ingrown toenail removed on my bad foot, and the operation caused some more muscle spasms - the whole of my leg shakes now not just my foot!! My PM doctor did say that the op would probably make things worse but I needed the ingrown toenail removed as it was infected.
On Tuesday the 8th April 2008, my PM doctor took me into hospital to try a new muscle relaxant on me, in hope that it would work but unfortunatly it didn't. My PM doctor is now trying to find some other medications/therapies that might help me - I am really grateful for everything that he has done for me.

I will keep you all updated
Love
Alison

No comments: