Friday 11 April 2008

Tips for friends of an RSD patient

I have had two types of friends during RSD ― the type that has abandoned and ignored me and the type that has stuck with me through it all. The friends that have stayed with me have been able to make me laugh even when I was almost in tears and we have certainly made some lasting memories that I know none of us will ever forget. Now here are some suggestions on how to be a friend to an RSDer:
Refrain from thoughtless comments. I would not ask my friend why he/she is still not better or act like RSD is a vacation if the person has to miss school sometimes because of doctor appointments or bad pain days.
Just be a friend. I would not desert or ignore the person.
Listen. Most of the time, all the friend might want to do is talk to someone.
Ask my friend how he/she is feeling. This is a kind gesture and shows that I care.
Realize my friend's limitations. My friend may not be able to play basketball or go rollerblading, but might be able to do something less strenuous like swimming. I would talk to my friend to see what he/she is able to do.
Try to understand if he/she has to refuse an invitation and I would not take it personally. RSD pain can worsen quickly and my friend may be too exhausted to go to a movie or the mall.
Believe my friend's pain. I would not act like he/she is a hypochondriac.
Remember that my friend is still the same person, both before and after RSD. He/she still needs me as a friend and we can still have fun doing things together.

No comments: