Friday 11 April 2008

Tips for doctors....

In all fairness to the doctors, I have tried to look at RSD not from my perspective, but from a doctor's perspective and I have come with a few things that might help out doctors.Here are some ideas for any physician who has a pediatric patient with RSD.
First of all, I would not ever abandon my patient. If I honestly could not do anything else for the person, then I would make sure that I would be able to make a referral to another doctor who would be able to help.
I would remember to follow up with the patient and I would not make excuses or forget. I would not procrastinate treating the patient, because RSD does not wait.
I would believe my patient's pain and would not act like the person is exaggerating the pain because when it comes down to it, with RSD, very few people overreact to the pain. RSD really, really hurts!!!
I would not keep poking on the RSD affected extremity if the patient says they have allodynia/hyperalgesia. (I have learned that this is just a tip of common sense. J LOL )
And most of all, I would never act like the patient is not trying to get better. No normal kid or teenager is going to want to be in horrible pain or on crutches/in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives.

No comments: